“After only four months on ‘The View,’ Rosie Perez is leaving the ABC morning show, Variety has learned,” the trade publication reports.
The story continues, “Perez had taken off the month of January to appear in the Broadway play ‘Fish in the Dark,’ but it’s understood that she won’t be coming back to the Hot Topics table once she’s done. It’s unclear when ABC will announce her departure, but for now ‘View’ producers have been trying other younger co-hosts in her seat.”
Reports the Deadline’s Lisa de Moraes: “ABC News tried to shoot down a report Rosie Perez was out at ‘The View,’ issuing this statement: ‘Rosie Perez is currently in rehearsal for her Broadway play for the month of January. Her status with the show has not changed.’ Reporters Who Cover Television noticed the statement does not address Perez’s long-term future on the show. Meanwhile, network sources say changes to the show are afoot — no surprise there, given its ratings performance — that could include cast.”
The British tabloid the Daily Mail goes even further in a piece it published online on Tuesday, Jan. 13, 2015.
Here’s the headline and sub-hed from that piece:
“EXCLUSIVE: The beginning of
the end for Rosie and Whoopi
as ABC considers abandoning
‘The View’ and extending ‘Good
Morning America’ as infighting
grows and ratings plunge
- The long-running talk show could end after this season
- Behind-the-scenes clashes between Rosie O’Donnell and Whoopi Goldberg and even Rosie Perez have created a bad vibe on the set
- ABC may extend ‘Good Morning America’ and bring back ‘Good Afternoon America’
- Rosie has a one year-contract that ends this season
- Whoopi is the winner no matter what – she has one more year remaining on her ‘pay or play’ contract even if the show ends”
To all of its claims the Daily Mail included this from ABC: “When contacted by Daily Mail Online, a show spokesperson denied any plan by ABC to end the show.”
To read more about this item we urge you to click on the links above, which will take you to the original articles.