Logo

Reuters

Is a Settlement in the Works in Cosby Case?

Mar 24, 2016  •  Post A Comment

A new development in a civil case involving Bill Cosby points to a possible settlement in the Massachusetts case.

Reuters reports that attorneys on both sides told a federal judge Wednesday that they’re open to settling. The case, which stems from allegations of sexual assault against Cosby, has seven of his accusers suing the comedian for defamation.

“Cosby, 78, had previously rejected an offer to settle the lawsuit,” Reuters reports. “First filed by Tamara Green in 2014 and since joined by six other women, the complaint says the once-beloved entertainer defamed them by saying that they lied when they accused him of sexually assaulting them.”

Marshall Searcy, an attorney for Cosby, reportedly said during the hearing: “Mediation might be appropriate here … we’re open to it on our side.” But Reuters notes that Searcy “cautioned that he could not commit to mediation without checking with his client, who has repeatedly denied wrongdoing.”

The report quotes Joseph Cammarata, who represents the women, telling the judge: “Let’s give it a shot. It sounds like there may be some response that has a dollar (amount) attached to it and then we can start the process.”

Cosby also faces criminal charges in Pennsylvania related to an alleged sexual assault in 2004.

Your Comment

Email (will not be published)