Logo

CNN

Fallout From Brexit Vote: British Prime Minister David Cameron — Who Wanted the U.K. to Stay in the European Union — Says He Will Resign

Jun 24, 2016  •  Post A Comment

The fallout continues from the “Brexit” vote in Britain, with Prime Minister David Cameron saying he will resign. Cameron was a supporter of the country’s remaining in the European Union.

The move comes amid turmoil in financial markets worldwide in the wake of Britain’s vote to leave the EU.

“There was a mixture of jubilation and tearful disbelief in the UK as people awoke Friday to the final verdict in the extremely close vote that deeply divided the nation,” CNN reports. “Europe was plunged into uncertainty following the result, with calls for further referendums from emboldened far-right groups who see it as a boost for their anti-EU, anti-immigration policies.”

CNN adds: “Within hours of Thursday’s ballot outcome — 51.89% in favor of leaving the EU, with 48.11% against — Cameron delivered an emotionally charged statement outside the door of 10 Downing Street, announcing his intention to stand down.”

Said Cameron: “The British people have voted to leave the EU and their will must be respected… the will of the British people is an instruction which must be delivered. There can be no doubt about the result.”

The process of exiting the EU is expected to take at least two years for Britain, which has been a part of the group since 1973. Cameron indicated that he wants a new leader to be in place by October.

“Boris Johnson, a former London mayor who campaigned for the UK’s departure from the EU, is tipped by bookmakers as Cameron’s likely successor,” CNN adds.

Your Comment

Email (will not be published)