Despite a barrage of criticism from the naysayers before, during and after the Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, NBC put a ribbon on the event with one of the most feel-good press releases we’ve ever seen, declaring the Rio Games “the most successful media event in history.”
The network compiled a ton of figures to back up its claim — if nothing else, the press release itself may be historic, for its sheer length and its accumulation of numbers. You can click here to read the full release.
Among the nuggets spotlighted by NBC:
- NBC Sports Group Chairman Mark Lazarus: “Our Presentation of the Rio Games is the Most Impressive Undertaking I’ve Seen in the Media World.”
- Total Audience Delivery Averages 27.5 Million Viewers for Rio Olympics Competition — Ranking as 2nd-Highest Primetime Audience for Any Non-U.S. Summer Games
- NBC’s Primetime Rio Olympics is Most Dominant in Adult 18-34 and 18-49 Demographics of Any Olympics on Record
- NBCSN Ranks As #1 Sports Cable Network for 14 Days of Expanded Primetime Coverage
- NBC Olympics’ Digital Coverage Sets Event Records with 3.3 Billion Total Streaming Minutes, 2.71 Billion Live Streaming Minutes & 100 Million Unique Users
- Viewership Increases across the Board for NBC Affiliates, NBC News & NBC Entertainment
There’s plenty more where that came from. Please click here to read the full release, with all the numbers, from NBC.