As the two sides in the Bill Cosby sexual assault case exchanged arguments over whether criminal charges the entertainer faces in Pennsylvania should be dismissed, Cosby’s team also made a case seemingly designed to sway public opinion in favor of their client.
In a statement responding to a prosecution filing in the Pennsylvania case, Cosby spokesman Andrew Wyatt said: “The Commonwealth admits that it wants to try him for 40- and 50-year-old accusations, many of which were raised for the first time in press releases and on talk shows, and that have never made their way to any courtroom or police station in this country. If our justice system is allowed to be distorted and abandoned for Mr. Cosby, none of us are safe.”
Cosby, 79, faces three counts of aggravated indecent assault in connection with an alleged incident in January 2004 in which he is accused of drugging and sexually assaulting former Temple University employee Andrea Constand at his home in Elkins Park, Pa.
Cosby’s legal team is seeking dismissal of the charges, alleging in a filing earlier this month that he has been denied due process and alleging “serious prosecutorial and judicial impropriety.”
In response, Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele said Tuesday: “Defendant seeks to avoid facing a jury of his peers — yet again — by asking this Court for the dismissal of charges against him.”
Steele added: “He is an individual who has used his fame and fortune for decades to conceal his crimes and hide his true nature. He is not entitled to a dismissal now that the law has caught up to him.”