Donald Trump has had another performer cancel on him — and this one’s all about Bruce Springsteen.
Rolling Stone reports that the B-Street Band, a Springsteen tribute band that has been playing almost 200 shows a year since 1980, announced it won’t be appearing as scheduled at the Jan. 19 Garden State Presidential Inaugural Gala.
Will Forte, the group’s 63-year-old keyboard player, manager, agent and publicist, indicated that the group became uncomfortable with media reports associating the band with Trump. “There were misleading headlines like, ‘Trump Hires B-Street Band.'” Forte said. “We felt like we were out on our own on an island.”
Rolling Stone adds: “If the B-Street Band pledge allegiance to anyone, it’s Springsteen, who has repeatedly voiced his anger and disgust at the president-elect. (Forte half-jokingly said of the B-Street Band last week, ‘I don’t even know if they have any politics.'”)
Forte said the decision to pull out of the gala was made out of respect to Springsteen.
“We owe everything to [Springsteen] and our gratitude and respect to the band is imperative above all else,” said Forte, adding: “We had to make it known that we didn’t want to seem disrespectful, in any way, shape or form, to Bruce and his music and his band.”