A film producer who has had a major impact on the horror genre over the past several years is making a move into television. The New York Times reports that Jason Blum, who has been behind the horror films “Get Out” and “Split,” along with the “Purge” franchise, is starting a standalone television company.
Blum obtained funding from Britain’s ITV Studios to get the new company, Blumhouse Television, up and running. The first project is “Secure and Hold: The Last Days of Roger Ailes,” a miniseries that is already in development at Showtime.
Also on the agenda is a “Purge” TV adaptation.
“Mr. Blum, 48, said by phone on Monday that … Blumhouse Television would focus on ‘dark genre’ programming — not just horror, but ‘things that scare us,'” The Times reports. “In addition to the miniseries about Mr. Ailes, who was ousted from Fox News last year after multiple women accused him of sexual harassment, Blumhouse Television will also lead the financing and production of a drama set in the same dystopian world as the ‘Purge’ movie franchise.”
Blum said the “Purge” TV project will run on both Syfy and USA Network, with Universal Cable Productions among the producers. With a fourth “Purge” feature film due in the summer of 2018, the timing and storytelling between the film and TV projects will be coordinated.
“The miniseries about Mr. Ailes has not yet begun casting but could make its way to Showtime’s schedule by this time next year,” The Times notes.
Blum has worked in the TV space before, including winning Emmys in 2014 for producing “The Normal Heart” and in 2015 for “The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst.” He was nominated for an Oscar in 2015 as one of the producers of “Whiplash.”