NBC News is holding its ground after attracting a ton of criticism over plans to air an interview by Megyn Kelly with right-wing provocateur and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones.
The AP reports that the network plans to go ahead with its airing of the piece this weekend on “Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly.”
The story quotes a statement today from NBC News in which it reasserts its intention to air the report despite Jones’ “efforts to distract and ultimately prevent” the broadcast.
“The network said that it remains ‘committed to giving viewers context and insight into a controversial and polarizing figure, how he relates to the president of the United States and influences others, and to getting this serious story right,'” the AP reports.
As we reported previously, Jones stole some of Kelly’s thunder by posting his own version of the interview, which you can see below.
“The story, scheduled to air Sunday evening, has NBC being buffeted from both sides,” the AP reports. “Jones has said he believed it will be a ‘fraud,’ and said he would release an unedited version of the interview that he recorded. So far, he’s only released snippets of a supposed conversation with Kelly, which could not be independently verified.”
Among those who are calling on NBC not to run the piece are lawyers representing 12 people who lost loved ones in the 2012 school massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
“The families say they’ve been hurt by Jones’ claim that the shooting was a hoax,” the AP reports. “The report is likely to have devastating human consequences, the families wrote to NBC.”
Here’s the clip posted by Jones …