Details released today about season three of the Netflix series “Narcos” — including a new trailer for the show, which you can watch below — suggest the acclaimed series won’t be letting up on the intensity just because the first two seasons succeeded in bringing down Pablo Escobar.
The DEA focuses on a new target in season three: the Cali Cartel, the richest drug trafficking operation in the world.
“Cocaine cartels are all about succession: The day Pablo Escobar went down, the Cali Cartel became public enemy number one,” Netflix says in an announcement released today. “They called themselves the Gentlemen of Cali — the biggest drug lords you’ve probably never heard of. Led by four powerful godfathers, the Cali Cartel turned the cocaine trade into a global enterprise.”
The streaming service, which filmed season three partly in New York City, is going around town today with a Narcos truck, showing the trailer while also serving white powdered doughnuts and Colombian coffee.
The season premieres globally on Netflix Sept. 1.
Here are the new Kings:
- Gilberto Rodriguez Orejuela (Damian Alcazar) — leader of Cali Cartel, “boss of bosses”
- Miguel Rodriguez Orejuela (Francisco Denis) — the brains behind the rise of the of Cali Cartel and Gilberto’s brother
- Pacho Herrera (Alberto Ammann) — the on-the-low hitman, runs the Mexican connection and international distribution
- Chepe Santacruz Londono (Pepe Rapazote) — runs the satellite NYC empire of the Colombian drug network
Netflix adds: “Just as Gilberto announces a bold plan to walk away from the business, DEA agent Javier Peña (Pedro Pascal) enlists the help of American and Colombian law enforcement to take it down. This season opens up a complex and ruthless world of new figures.”
Other new players include:
- Jorge Salcedo (Matias Varela) — Cali’s head of security who prioritizes his wife and kids’ protection over his bosses
- DEA agents Chris Feistl (Michael Stahl-David) and Daniel Van Ness (Matt Whelan), who enter the operation with enthusiasm and inexperience
- Franklin Jurado (Miguel Angel Silvestre) — the cartel’s money launderer who unknowingly puts his wife, Christina (Kerry Bishe) in mortal danger
- David Rodriguez (Arturo Castro) — Miguel’s oldest son, who is reluctant at first to take a leading role in the cartel structure
Here’s the trailer, released today …