“More than a month after a liberal advocacy group publicly called on advertisers to boycott Sean Hannity’s show on Fox News Channel, luxury carmaker Cadillac has been the only new company to publicly back away from the program,” the AP reports.
“Meanwhile, Hannity is ascendant at Fox,” the report adds. “His show, which averaged nearly 2.7 million viewers in August, was the second-most-popular program in cable news behind MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow, according to the Nielsen company. Starting Monday, Hannity moves back to the 9 p.m. Eastern time slot he previously occupied, taking Maddow on directly.”
Fox wasn’t commenting on Hannity’s advertisers, but Cadillac pulled its spots from his show because of commentary on the show in the wake of violence at white supremacist demonstrations in Charlottesville, Va.
Andrew Lipman, a spokesman for Cadillac, said: “In the strongest possible terms, we at Cadillac condemn any form of racism or discrimination. We have a zero tolerance policy as it pertains to any of our employees and business partners.”
The media watchdog group Media Matters for America called for the boycott, and its president, Angelo Carusone, says Land Rover and Mercedes Benz have also bailed out on Hannity. But a Land Rover spokesman, Stuart Schorr, offered a different spin, noting that while Land Rover is not currently running ads on “Hannity,” the company is not taking part in a boycott — its advertising strategy simply “evolves and changes.” Mercedes representatives did not return queries about the company’s plans.
The AP report adds: “Media Matters said some dozen advertisers have told the organization they will not purchase commercials in Hannity’s show in the future; some have current contracts and are staying put until those commitments are completed.”