A Fox News personality said comments about Donald Trump that have stirred up a hornet’s nest were misconstrued.
“Maria Bartiromo said Monday she was taken ‘wildly out of context’ with her on-air claim that there had been no sexual misconduct allegations against President Donald Trump,” the AP reports. “Bartiromo said Monday that she was aware of women — more than a dozen — who had made accusations against Trump during last year’s presidential campaign. But in comments on her Fox Business Network morning show Friday that attracted wide attention, Bartiromo had said otherwise. Trump has said those stories are untrue.”
The subject came up during a discussion about allegations against Sen. Al Franken on Bartiromo’s show.
“One of the guests on ‘Mornings with Maria,’ former Obama administration aide Chris Lu, made reference to women who had accused Trump of unwanted kissing or groping,” the story reports. “Bartiromo told him, ‘Just to be clear, there are no allegations against the president.’”
Bartiromo offered a clarification today, saying: “Obviously, I am aware that there are several women who accused the president, then candidate Donald Trump, during the election, of misconduct. We were talking about the here and now, the news of the day, and that’s what I was referring to when I said there are no allegations. … I apologize if I wasn’t specific or precise enough.”