An executive with HBO filed a lawsuit against the Television Academy and others stemming from an incident at the Emmy Awards. The Hollywood Reporter’s THR, Esq. reports that Nancy Lesser, the executive vice president of media and talent at HBO, is accusing the academy of failing to take sufficient safety precautions, creating dangerous conditions around the venue.
“In a lawsuit filed on Tuesday in LA Superior Court, Lesser says she experienced a terrible fall last year when exiting from the Microsoft Theater,” THR reports. “Her injury, she adds, caused her to miss out on HBO’s after-party and take eight months to rehabilitate.”
“Lesser was the executive in charge of coordinating that party, where she expected to mingle with Nicole Kidman, Julia Roberts and others nominated for awards. But she never got there. Instead, she ended up being transported to the emergency room at Cedars-Sinai Hospital,” the story reports.
Lesser’s complaint names the Television Academy, Anshutz Entertainment and the City of Los Angeles, who Lesser says share responsibility for laying out the red carpet at the awards ceremony.
THR reports: “Lesser says those responsible for the red carpet knew based on past and present experience with awards shows that ‘even celebrity attendees to the Emmy Awards could be expected to exit in a throng-like manner, which would create extreme congestion and severely diminish any forward visibility and certainly diminish and preclude visibility of conditions that may exist on the walkway itself.'”