The family of rocker Tom Petty said in a statement Friday that Petty died of an accidental drug overdose after taking a variety of medications.
Petty, known for a string of hits such as “Breakdown,” “American Girl,” “I Need to Know,” “Refugee,” “Free Fallin'” and “I Won’t Back Down,” died in October at age 66 after being found in full cardiac arrest at his home.
His family members Dana Petty and Adria Petty discussed his death in a statement posted on the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Facebook page and on the TomPetty.com website. You can click here to read the full statement.
“Unfortunately Tom’s body suffered from many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip,” the statement says. “Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury.
“On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication.”
The family specifically mentions Fentanyl patches, and expresses the hope that his death may save lives by prompting discussion about the opioid crisis.
Click here to read the full statement.