In a move that the automotive press says amounts to a declaration that the car wars are over and the crossovers have won, Ford says it will stop building all sedans and hatchbacks and will shift its production to crossovers and trucks.
“It is, by far, the company’s most dramatic production change in its 115-year history since Henry Ford adopted the assembly line,” Car and Driver reports. “In its first-quarter statement on Wednesday, the company said it will sell only two car models for the U.S. market within the ‘next few years’ and that it will ‘not invest in next generations of traditional Ford sedans for North America.’”
The one exception appears to be the Mustang, which will reportedly continue to be produced as a regular model.
“In its statement, Ford said it will rely solely on a two-car lineup, the new Focus Active — a raised, body-cladded version of its all-new Focus hatchback (a crossover, in other words) — and the Mustang,” Car and Driver reports.
The report notes that Ford’s president of global markets, Jim Farley, said in a post on Medium that Ford’s trucks and SUVs will soon account for 86% of the company’s U.S. volume.
“Since Ford recently refreshed its Fusion sedan for the second time, that car will stick around the longest — at least for the next couple of years, according to company spokesman Said Deep,” Car and Driver reports. “The Taurus, which still sits on the same Volvo-based platform as the current Explorer, will cease production by March 2019. The subcompact Fiesta sedan and hatch will die in May 2019. The C-Max, Ford’s only dedicated hybrid in the U.S. market, will disappear this May. The plug-in C-Max Energi was dropped last year.”