Fox News has come out with a strong statement about the Laura Ingraham controversy, making it clear that the network is standing behind the embattled host.
Ingraham became a target of advertiser defections last week over comments aimed at Parkland, Fla., school shooting survivor David Hogg, as we reported previously. After the controversy erupted, Ingraham announced Friday that she was taking what she called a planned vacation.
Ingraham hosts the 10 p.m. program “The Ingraham Angle.”
In a statement, Fox News co-President Jack Abernethy said: “We cannot and will not allow voices to be censored by agenda-driven intimidation efforts. We look forward to having Laura Ingraham back hosting her program next Monday when she returns from spring vacation with her children.”
Variety reports that Abernethy’s note is “unusual for a corporate executive to issue on behalf of a program host, but the situation swirling around Ingraham is anything but normal.”
“Nestle, IBM, Johnson & Johnson, TripAdvisor, Nutrish, Expedia and Hulu — a video-streaming company partly owned by Fox News parent 21st Century Fox — are among the advertisers who have said they would no longer support her program,” Variety reports, adding: “Media buyers said late last week that advertisers had grown nervous about being associated with the show, even as they acknowledged its sizable audience.”
The program reportedly averaged more than 2.6 million viewers in February.