Logo

‘Curse of Don Quixote’ May Be Broken as Court Clears Way for Terry Gilliam to Finally Bring His Passion Project to the Screen

May 9, 2018  •  Post A Comment

A court ruling today may have finally broken the “curse of Don Quixote,” which has plagued director Terry Gilliam during his 20-year battle to bring the Don Quixote story to the screen.

Reuters reports that the decision by a Paris court clears the way for Gilliam to show “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote” at the Cannes Film Festival.

Gilliam had to abandon his first attempt at making the film, with Johnny Depp in 2000, due to a series of disasters including flooding, illness and money issues — a story that was told in painful detail in the 2002 documentary “Lost in La Mancha.”

“Finally remade with Jonathan Pryce and Adam Driver, Cannes selected the film to close the festival on May 19, but a last-minute legal challenge from a former producer who says he owns the rights meant that remained uncertain until Wednesday’s ruling,” Reuters noted. “Adding to the idea of a curse, The Guardian newspaper reported earlier on Wednesday that Gilliam, 77, had suffered a minor stroke at the weekend, but he tweeted he was now fine: ‘After days of rest and prayers to the gods I am restored and well again.’”

Gilliam also tweeted: “We are legally victorious! We will go to the ball, dressed as the closing film at Festival de Cannes! May 19. Thanks for all your support. #QuixoteVive.”

“The Paris court rejected a request by former producer Paulo Branco to prevent the Cannes screening, although Branco told reporters it had upheld his position that he does hold the rights,” Reuters adds. “Gilliam’s lawyer said the court did not address the question of who owned the rights but had ordered that the screening of the film include a statement that Branco claimed ownership.”

Your Comment

Email (will not be published)