“With NBC News President Andy Lack fighting battles on multiple fronts, and with ABC hotshot Ben Sherwood officially leaving his network — media insiders have been widely speculating that Sherwood could swoop in on Lack’s job at any moment,” The New York Post’s Page Six reports. “But sources in Sherwood’s camp insist that he is absolutely not interested in going to NBC after ABC’s Fox deal closes.”
Sherwood, president of the Disney-ABC Television Group and co-chair of the company’s Media Networks division, is poised to exit the company after its acquisition of the 21st Century Fox entertainment assets closes, as we reported earlier this week.
“But weeks before the announcement, Page Six’s phones were ringing off the hook with multiple sources suggesting that Sherwood would be heading to 30 Rock just as Lack was being bundled out the back door,” The Post reports. “We were told on Monday that, despite the rumor mill, Sherwood’s still considering his options — but won’t be taking Lack’s desk.”
The report notes that Comcast, NBC’s parent company, Comcast, appears to remain committed to Lack “in spite of the network’s growing list of scandals and calamities under his reign.”
NBCUniversal CEO Steve Burke is quoted saying: “Andy has my complete support. We have worked together closely for over three years, during which I have watched Andy oversee NBC News with great integrity, sound judgment and a focus on doing what’s right. I look forward to continuing to work with Andy and to his continued success as the leader of NBC News.”
But The Post also notes: “TV insiders said that Comcast execs have ‘grown tired’ of the brouhahas surrounding Lack: He mishandled ‘Access Hollywood’s’ ‘Grab ’em by the p–sy’ tape, Ronan Farrow’s mothballed Harvey Weinstein investigation, Matt Lauer’s ignominious ouster and the — thus far — catastrophic hiring of Megyn Kelly.”