Logo

Reuters

Google Implements Changes in Its Sexual Harassment Policies Following Worldwide Walkout

Nov 8, 2018  •  Post A Comment

Google announced today it is changing its sexual harassment policies, a week after 20,000 of the company’s employees worldwide walked off their jobs to protest the company’s response to harassment issues.

Reuters reports that the company said it will make arbitration optional for individuals with sexual harassment and sexual assault claims, a move that will enable them to file lawsuits.

“It also said employees who fail to complete mandatory sexual harassment training will be docked in performance reviews,” Reuters reports.

Google CEO Sundar Pichai is quoted saying in a note to employees: “We recognize that we have not always gotten everything right in the past and we are sincerely sorry for that. It’s clear we need to make some changes.”

“Pichai’s actions respond to a couple of the five major requests made by employees during last week’s protests,” Reuters notes. “They had called on [Google parent] Alphabet to add an employee to its board and share gender-related pay data, neither of which Pichai addressed.”

Your Comment

Email (will not be published)