A carriage dispute that reportedly blacked out 120 stations in 97 markets has been resolved. USA Today reports that access to Nexstar stations is being restored to DirecTV and AT&T U-verse subscribers, ending an eight-week blackout.
“In a joint statement Thursday, AT&T and Nexstar said they reached a new multiyear deal that allows the 120 stations, which include ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC affiliate stations, to return on DirecTV, AT&T TV and U-verse platforms,” USA Today reports. “The stations went dark at 11:59 p.m. local time July 3 after Nexstar and AT&T were unable to reach an agreement.”
In the statement, Rob Thun, AT&T Communications senior vice president of content and programming, says: “Our customers want more choice and value and we are pleased to deliver that through this new agreement with Nexstar and its many local stations.”
The companies did not reveal financial terms of the deal and added that they regretted the inconvenience.
Keith Hopkins, senior vice president of distribution for Nexstar Media Group Inc., is quoted saying in the statement that “this new multi-year agreement will allow us to continue delivering our stations’ leading network and sports content as well as local news and other programming to AT&T subscribers in our markets.”
USA Today adds: “This year, there have been more than 200 blackouts industry-wide, which is a record for a year, AT&T previously said in a statement, noting it was a 20% jump over the 165 blackouts in 2018.”