Logo

TMZ, AP

Charges Dropped Against Man Accused of Stealing Frances McDormand’s Oscar

Aug 20, 2019  •  Post A Comment

The case has been dropped against the man who was accused of stealing the Oscar Frances McDormand won for Best Actress in 2018 for “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.”

TMZ cites law enforcement sources saying Terry Bryant, 47, will not be prosecuted. “As for why … well, Bryant should send a big fat thank you to Frances,” the website adds.

“We’re told she was not willing to cooperate with investigators, so a judge dismissed the whole matter,” TMZ reports. “Law enforcement sources tell us Frances wasn’t down to work with cops from the beginning because she was embarrassed by the whole caper. She had merely left her Oscar to be engraved at the end of the ceremony, and then it turned into a whole media circus.”

TMZ adds: “We’re told Frances didn’t even want to file a police report, but because the Academy of Motion Pictures actually owns the statuette … it was listed as the victim, not Frances. However, she was the witness and prosecutors needed her testimony.”

The AP notes that the Oscar was returned to McDormand soon after it went missing at the Governors Ball afterparty.

“A film academy worker who was escorting a photographer at the party testified at a preliminary hearing last year that he heard over a walkie-talkie that McDormand’s Oscar was missing, and he quickly spotted Bryant, and recovered the statuette,” the AP reports. “It was immediately returned to McDormand, who could be seen holding it at the Vanity Fair post-Oscar party hours later.”

The AP also notes: “Bryant’s attorney, Daniel Brookman, argued in court last year that Bryant didn’t try to hide that he had McDormand’s Oscar, and the charge should be dismissed. ‘There was never any intent to deprive the owner of the property on a permanent basis,’ Brookman said.”

Your Comment

Email (will not be published)