A campaign video sent out last week by Donald Trump was pulled after the rock band Queen complained about the use of its song “We Will Rock You” as the soundtrack for the clip.
“The video, which featured Trump speaking to supporters at rallies, was posted on Oct. 9 and used the song in its entirety,” BuzzFeed reports. “At that time, a representative for the band told BuzzFeed News that the song’s use was unauthorized.”
BuzzFeed adds: “The representative said that within hours of the video going up, the band had ‘already entered into a process to call for non use of Queen song copyrights by the Trump campaign. This is ongoing.’”
The video was circulated on Twitter, where it had reportedly been taken down by Sunday. Below you can see the image that now appears with the tweet, showing that the video was removed.
The takedown was reportedly spearheaded by Queen’s music publisher, but BuzzFeed notes that the video had already been seen more than 1.7 million times.
“The Trump campaign has been getting into trouble lately for using music against artists’ wishes,” BuzzFeed adds. “A video featuring the song ‘Photograph’ by Nickelback was taken down earlier this month over copyright issues. And last week, the estate of Prince slammed Trump for playing ‘Purple Rain’ at a rally in Minneapolis.”
The Prince estate reportedly posted a message on Twitter saying: “The Prince Estate will never give permission to President Trump to use Prince’s songs.”
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 10, 2019