The Parents Television Council and its struggles amid a downturn in donations and increased challenges from the entertainment industry is the subject of a New York Times report.
The group’s campaign against CBS’ freshman "$#*! My Dad Says," for instance, hasn’t gained momentum, according to the article. The group vowed on Sept. 17 vow that it wouldn’t rest until the show was canceled or the name changed, but the program has so far carried a full line-up of ads, CBS says. That may suggest that advertisers may not fear the group as much as they used to, the story says.
Parents Television Council President Timothy Winter says that the organization is as relevant as it used to be, citing an agreement from pharmaceutical companies earlier this month to alert parents which TV shows would carry ads for erectile dysfunction ads, the article notes.
But the group has struggled with declining donations, as the article says it lost about $1 million donations in 2008, while in 2009 its revenue dropped 26% to $2.9 million. The group has also cut its staff by 38% in the past two years, the story says.