The ratings are in for the premiere of Keith Olbermann’s new version of “Countdown,” which debuted Monday on Current TV. It’s no surprise, given Current’s modest distribution, but the turnout wasn’t up there with Olbermann’s MSNBC numbers.
The premiere was watched by 179,000 viewers 25 to 54 years old, the demographic preferred by cable news networks, EW.com’s Inside TV blog reported. By comparison, Olbermann used to draw about 300,000 people in the demographic segment while his show was on MSNBC.
Fox News’ "The O’Reilly Factor" attracted 735,000 viewers in the age group Monday, while Olbermann’s replacement on MSNBC, Lawrence O’Donnell, averaged 237,000. Olbermann did blow away one competitor, as Eliot Spitzer, who has been struggling on CNN, averaged a mere 89,000, the piece notes.
In a statement, Olbermann said he was pleased by the early results. "But like I said last week, it’s one night,” he added. “We’ll need a couple of weeks to know where we’re starting, and we’re truly interested in next year and especially 2013.”