"Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment announced today that ‘Star Wars’ is the bestselling catalog Blu-ray Disc of all time with worldwide sales totaling one million units, including 515,000 units sold in North America in its first week alone. This represents $84 million in worldwide consumer spend including $38 million in North America — unprecedented for a nine-disc Blu-ray collection at a premium price."
Thus reads the PR announcement issued by Lucasfilm and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment.
Carrying a suggested retail price of $139.99, the "Star Wars" set can be found for about $80 on Amazon and through other retailers.
According to Home Media Magazine (as reported by HDReport), as of May 1, 2011, the all-time top ten selling movies in the Blu-Ray format, sourced through Nielsen VideoScan were:
1. Avatar (Fox) released on Blu-Ray on 4/22/10
2. The Dark Knight (Warner) 12/9/08
3. Inception (Warner) 12/7/10
4. The Hangover (Warner) 12/15/09
5. Beauty and the Beast: Diamond Edition (Disney) 10/5/10
6. Star Trek (Paramount) 11/17/09
7. Toy Story 3 (Disney) 11/2/10
8. Iron Man (Paramount) 9/30/08
9. Iron Man 2 (Paramount) 9/28/10
10. Up (Disney) 11/10/09
The "Star Wars" set now moves ahead of "Avatar" at the top of the list.