[Updated Oct. 7, 2011, 10:30 a.m., to reflect that earlier reports of the concert’s cancellation appear to be inaccurate.]
PCMag.com reported that the Facebook broadcast of Saturday’s Michael Jackson tribute concert has been canceled.
Earlier reports indicated that the concert itself had been canceled. But it appears those reports were incorrect.
The concert, which is scheduled to take place Saturday in Wales, has been marked by squabbling and turmoil throughout the planning stages. But what appears to have derailed the Facebook broadcast is the inability to obtain rights to Jackson’s songs, according to the PCMag report.
In an earlier report, Reuters said Thursday that the concert was going ahead despite all the problems.
Reuters reported at that time: “Chris Hunt, head of Global Live Events, which is staging the Saturday ‘Michael Forever’ gig in Cardiff, admitted that preparations had been challenging, but blamed ‘misinformation’ for some of the negative headlines. ‘I’ve never been in a situation in my entire career like it where so many false rumours emerged as if from nowhere,’ Hunt told Reuters in a telephone interview.”
Among the problems reportedly plaguing the production were “squabbling among the late singer’s siblings, a backlash from fans, a headline act withdrawing at late notice and tickets still unsold,” Reuters reported.
The headline act referred to is Black Eyed Peas, perhaps the biggest act on the bill. The group pulled out Wednesday.