Reaction to Ricky Gervais’ performance as host of Sunday’s Golden Globes ceremony wasn’t nearly as polarized as the response to his controversial appearance a year ago — when many observers objected to his harsh attacks on Hollywood.
This year’s performance went over well with NBC brass in particular, Deadline.com reports — but that doesn’t mean we can expect to see Gervais on the job again next year.
Paul Telegdy, NBC president of alternative and late night, had a glowing review. "We would welcome him back," Telegdy said. "He is a gentleman and a scholar. I was greatly impressed by him as a host and have totally enjoyed working with him. I’m also a great believer that the only word that should be unspoken in the entertainment business is ‘never.’"
But Gervais said he won’t be returning, according to Deadline.com, which spoke with the host after the event. "I’m really done this time. It’s enough. Three is plenty — at least that’s what Charlie Sheen told me," Gervais said, according to a separate story.
Telegdy denied that Gervais was tamer than last year, noting, "I can’t see how he could have been more outrageous," according to the story.
“It’s an incredibly bold and brave thing to take on a hosting job and do it for three consecutive years while facing such level of scrutiny. He came out, he was himself, he had a great time and he was backed by the biggest stars. I laughed heartily throughout," Telegdy said.
To read some of Gervais’ comments during his hosting gig, please click here.