In a week of major developments involving sexual battery accusations against John Travolta, news broke today that the second “John Doe” dropped his case against the actor, CNN reports.
The news follows word earlier this week that John Doe No. 1 dropped out of his case against Travolta, which was quickly followed by word that Doe 1 had hired high-profile attorney Gloria Allred, as we reported yesterday. It was unclear whether the hiring of Allred meant the case against Travolta would be resurrected — although Allred noted that John Doe No. 1’s case had been dismissed “without prejudice,” meaning it could be filed again.
But the case as originally brought by John Does No. 1 and 2 is now over, CNN reports. The original attorney for both plaintiffs, Okorie Okorocha, said he did not know why John Doe No. 2, identified as an Atlanta masseur, opted out of the case.
Neither Allred nor Travolta attorney Marty Singer had an immediate comment on the withdrawal of John Doe No. 2, the story reports.
CNN notes that the first John Doe pulled out of his lawsuit after news surfaced that Travolta was in New York, and not Los Angeles, on Jan. 16, 2012, the date of the alleged sexual assault during a massage.
The story reports: “Okorocha told CNN the date should have been January 15, 2012, but the mistake would have hampered the chances of John Doe #2 in court. He also said ‘personality conflicts’ with John Doe #1 contributed to the decision.”
CNN’s report adds: “The lawyer insisted in a CNN interview Tuesday that he would ‘mop up’ in the courtroom with the allegations made by John Doe #2. He said he received the call from his client firing him soon after that interview aired On HLN’s ‘Showbiz Tonight’ on Wednesday.”