Warning that it’s not for the faint of heart, TravelChannel.com has unveiled its scare-ific list of the "Travel’s Best" Halloween attractions of 2013.
Here’s the list, in alphabetical order by state:
• Knott’s Scary Farm (Buena Park, California)
• Disney’s Haunted Mansion (Anaheim, California & Orlando, Florida)
• Spooky Empire’s Ultimate Horror Weekend (Orlando, Florida)
• Markoff’s Haunted Forest (Calleva Farm in Dickerson, Maryland)
• Salem Haunted Happenings (Salem, Massachusetts)
• Twin Cities’ Zombie Pub Crawl (Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota)
• KC West Bottoms Haunted Houses (Kansas City, Missouri)
• The Haunting of Lemp Brewery (St. Louis, Missouri)
• Spooky World Presents Nightmare New England (Litchfield, New Hampshire)
• Eastern State Penitentiary – Terror Behind the Walls (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
Commenting on that last selection, the website says in a press release: "The abandoned Eastern State Penitentiary is one of the most well-known haunted locations in the country, and for six weeks every fall, ‘Terror Behind the Walls’ transforms the prison into a massive haunted house. For the first time in the event’s history, visitors will be confronted with a critical decision: Should they explore the prison and watch the action, or should they mark themselves to truly interact with the denizens of the cellblocks? Those who opt in for true interactivity may be grabbed, held back, sent into hidden passageways, removed from their group and even occasionally incorporated into the show."
The website notes that the list was picked by a panel of experts consisting of Scott Cummins (artist & pro pumpkin carver); Elvira (Mistress of the Dark); Nick Groff (paranormal investigator, “Ghost Adventures”); Ed and Marsha Edmunds (owners of Distortions Unlimited, “Making Monsters”); and Aaron Sagers (geek culture and paranormal expert).