Lester Holt, the new permanent anchor of the “NBC Nightly News,” “said he exchanged a few emails with [Brian] Williams during his suspension, and the two finally had a face-to-face meeting last Thursday,” reports New York magazine.
The story reports: “’It was a conversation that we both had been craving but didn’t know how to initiate,’ Holt said. ‘The bottom line is that we expressed our friendship to each other. We acknowledged that while some might see this as awkward, nothing that has transpired was between the two of us. We are friends and the best way to characterize it is that Brian and I are good.’ He told The New York Times he ‘had no issues’ with Williams staying at the network, saying, ‘From the very beginning of this, I told myself that I am not his judge.’”
Here’s what Holt had to say at the close of Monday night’s broadcast, his first night in the anchor chair as the show’s new permanent anchor: