The CEO of Reelz, which hosted the Miss USA Pageant after pageant co-owner Donald Trump alienated NBC and Univision with controversial remarks about Mexican immigrants, indicated that his channel’s deal with Miss USA is not likely to be repeated.
But the AP reports that Stan E. Hubbard said Reelz is “darn proud” of giving the pageant a TV outlet.
Speaking to journalists Sunday, Hubbard said of the event: “They belong on a broadcast network. I do believe that there probably has to be an ownership change in the organization.”
The report notes that fewer than 1 million people watched the pageant, down from 5.6 million when NBC carried it last year. The report cites Nielsen figures.
Hubbard added: “For my two cents I don’t see Trump going away easily for NBC. I don’t know how it’s going to play out. I don’t have a dog in the fight. Our agreement for the organization and the pageant was for one event.”
The turnout for the pageant, which aired Sunday, July 12, was just fine with Reelz.
“While Hubbard acknowledged ‘we didn’t do NBC numbers,’ the ratings worked for the family-owned, independent Reelz channel because it provided an introduction to new viewers and advertisers, the AP reports. “Hubbard said they connected with ‘about 700 agencies’ to ask about advertising for the pageant and ‘almost universally we were told, “We love what you’re doing, we’re glad that you’re doing it, but we can’t.”‘”
Hubbard made the point Sunday that the channel did not pick up the pageant to help Trump, describing the GOP presidential contender’s comments as “terrible” and “ridiculous.”
Hubbard noted that Reelz would not be running repeats of “The Cosby Show,” and commented: “From everything I know and read, that’s not something I’m going to be supportive of.”