Chris Rock reportedly threw out his Academy Awards monologue after a controversy erupted over the Oscars’ lack of diversity and is busy putting together a new monologue. The buried headline is that Rock will not be dropping out as host of the ceremony, despite numerous calls for him to join a boycott of the event.
ET Online quotes Oscars producer Reginald Hudlin confirming that Rock is in. “Chris is hard at work,” he tells ET. “He and his writing staff locked themselves in a room. As things got a little provocative and exciting, he said, ‘I’m throwing out the show I wrote and writing a new show.'”
According to Hudlin, the diversity issue will be front and center. “You should expect [#OscarsSoWhite jokes],” he told ET. “And, yes, the Academy is ready for him to do that. They’re excited about him doing that.”
As the diversity controversy was snowballing last week, the Academy launched a series of diversity initiatives, as we reported previously.
The ceremony airs Feb. 28 on ABC.