Plans were announced today for the rollout of a new TV series starring famous chef Emeril Lagasse. The Amazon original series “Eat the World with Emeril Lagasse” premieres Sept. 2 on Amazon’s Prime Video service.
All six episodes of season one will premiere exclusively for Prime members in the U.S., Amazon announced.
“The docuseries follows world-famous Lagasse as his award-winning friends and colleagues José Andrés, Mario Batali, Danny Bowien, Marcus Samuelsson, Aarón Sánchez and Nancy Silverton introduce him to the history, techniques and cooking traditions of their favorite locales across the globe,” the announcement notes.
Said Conrad Riggs, head of unscripted for Amazon Studios: “‘Eat the World’ is more than just a travel or cooking show, it’s a heartwarming look at Emeril and his relationship with his friends, as he learns about new foods and cultures. Prime members will get an inside look at incredible destinations and unbelievable cuisine with one of the world’s most respected chefs.”
Here are the blurbs on each of the 30-minute episodes, from the announcement:
- China with Mario Batali – Emeril and his longtime friend Batali, the founder of restaurants including Babbo and Eataly, start off their journey with ravioli in New York City, and then head to China in search of the best soup dumpling in Shanghai
- Spain with José Andrés – Emeril arrives in his good friend and modernist chef Andrés’ hometown, Oviedo, to explore the roots of Modernist cuisine. Together they visit Ferran Adrià’s never before filmed and famed ElBulli Lab in Barcelona, in which Adrià is decoding the secrets of food.
- Italy with Nancy Silverton – Silverton, founder of LA’s Pizzeria Mozza and La Brea Bakery, brings Emeril to her second home to seek out what she thinks is the world’s best pizza, courtesy of Franco Pepe
- Sweden with Marcus Samuelsson – Samuelsson, who at 24 became the youngest chef ever to receive a three star restaurant review from The New York Times, brings Emeril to Sweden to experience New Nordic Cuisine, which incorporates new flavors into traditional Swedish food
- Cuba with Aarón Sánchez – Emeril and Sánchez, Chef-Partner of Johnny Sánchez restaurants and co-star of the Food Network series Chopped, head to Cuba to meet with leaders of the modern Cuban culinary world at the moment the country is on the brink of epicurean and economic change
- South Korea with Danny Bowien – Bowien, winner of the James Beard Award in 2013, has credited Emeril as a de facto mentor for years, and relishes the opportunity to travel with him to Korea to meet Jeong Kwan, a Zen Buddhist nun who’s been called “the Philosopher Chef” by The New York Times
“Eat the World with Emeril Lagasse” is produced and created by Ugly Brother Studios (House of Food, Startup U, Life or Debt), and executive produced by Tim and Mike Duffy, Emeril Lagasse and four-time Emmy winner Bill Pruitt (The Amazing Race, Deadliest Catch).