One of the least important, but still telling, setbacks for actor Kevin Spacey as he deals with the fallout from accusations that he made sexual advances toward an underage boy is that Spacey lost the privilege of being name-checked on the NBC series “This Is Us.”
“Tuesday’s episode of the NBC drama included a 2008 flashback scene in which a struggling actor learns his roommate has gotten a role in a major movie,” the AP reports. “In the scene filmed before Spacey was accused of sexual misconduct, the thrilled roommate refers to a Kevin Spacey film.”
But 20th Century Fox Television, which produces “This Is Us,” said it removed Spacey’s name, citing “recent events.”
“Viewers instead heard the project identified as ‘a Christian Bale movie,'” the AP reports.
Actor Anthony Rapp has said Spacey made sexual advances toward him in 1986, when Rapp was 14, as we reported previously.
“Spacey has said he doesn’t remember the alleged encounter reported by BuzzFeed News last weekend but apologized if such ‘drunken behavior’ occurred,” the AP reports.
Another actor, Robert Cavazos, has since also accused Spacey of inappropriate behavior, as we reported Tuesday.
Netflix, meanwhile, annouced plans to cancel “House of Cards,” which stars Spacey, although that cancellation has reportedly been in the works since well before the recent accusations against Spacey.
Production on the sixth and final season of “House of Cards” was also suspended this week.