Logo

Elizabeth Vargas Leaving ABC News

Dec 22, 2017  •  Post A Comment

“Elizabeth Vargas is leaving ABC News after 22 years with the network,” reports the U.K. newspaper the Daily Mail, in a story scooping U.S. publications.

“Multiple sources have revealed to DailyMail.com that the longtime ’20/20′ co-anchor will be stepping down to pursue new ventures in May, when the news magazine wraps its 40th season on the air,” the paper says.

The story continues, “Vargas, 55, has enjoyed a storied career at ABC, appearing on ‘Good Morning America’ and ‘World News Tonight’ while spending 14 seasons on ’20/20′ and reporting countless breaking news stories over the years.

“One of the biggest stories she broke was her own, with Vargas electing to bravery detail her struggles with alcohol last year on ABC and in her memoir.”

The Daily Mail also printed this memo from Vargas to her colleagues:

To my 20/20 family,

I want you to hear some news about me, from me. I will be leaving ABC News, and 20/20 at the end of this historic 40th season. It has been a profound privilege to be the anchor of 20/20 for 14 years, and a true honor to work with each and every one of you. I am incredibly lucky to work alongside the very best in the business: the producers, editors, writers on this show, and the enormous team working every week to get our show on the air. I am so very proud of the stories we have told together

I am sorry only to have to share this news with you as we celebrate the holidays. I had hoped to make this announcement after the first of the year.

This is not goodbye – I will be here through May, and cannot wait to do more work with all you in the months ahead.

Have a happy holiday with your families, and I will see you next year.

With gratitude,

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Vargas

(from an appearance on ‘The View’ last year)

(courtesy YouTube)

 

Your Comment

Email (will not be published)