Actor Alec Baldwin appeared in court Monday in New York, where he was arraigned in connection with what has been described as a dispute over a parking spot.
Baldwin, who is accused of hitting a man in the face, entered a not guilty plea, according to media reports. The actor has previously denied wrongdoing in the case. He was arrested Nov. 2.
“Police were told a driver pulled into a Manhattan parking space that one of Baldwin’s relatives was holding for him, and the two men started quarreling and pushing each other,” USA Today reports. “The other driver told police Baldwin punched or slapped him. The 49-year-old man was taken to a hospital complaining of jaw pain and redness around his neck.”
Baldwin reportedly remained silent during today’s court appearance, with his attorney, Alan Abramson, doing the talking.
“Mr. Baldwin is a public figure whose reputation has been damaged by media reports that claim that he punched a man on a New York City street,” Abramson is quoted saying.
Baldwin, 60, was originally arrested on assault and harassment charges, but the charges were downgraded by prosecutors today to attempted assault and harassment, according to media reports.
Abramson is quoted by USA Today saying today in court: “There is incontrovertible video evidence that has been turned over to the district attorney’s office that proves beyond all doubt that Mr. Baldwin never punched anyone. Mr. Baldwin did not commit any crime and we are confident that once this matter is fully investigated it will be resolved swiftly and appropriately in court.”