The cause of death for a young rapper and singer who was found dead at his home in September has been released. TMZ reports that Mac Miller died from a mix of fentanyl and cocaine.
“The L.A. County Coroner’s Office released its toxicology findings, and according to the report Mac died from ‘mixed drug toxicity’ — specifically fentanyl, coke … and alcohol too,” TMZ reports. “The Coroner categorized his death as an accidental overdose.”
Miller, born Malcolm James McCormick, was 26. He was found dead on Sept. 7 at his home in Studio City in the San Fernando Valley.
TMZ notes that Miller was found in his bedroom by first responders answering a 911 call about a patient in cardiac arrest, and was pronounced dead at the scene.
“According to the report, Mac’s assistant found him unresponsive on his bed in a ‘praying position’ — kneeling forward with his face resting on his knees. The assistant described him as already being ‘blue’ during the 911 call,” TMZ reports. “There was a 1/4-inch abrasion on the bridge of his nose, and there was blood coming out of one nostril.”
The report adds: “Mac battled with substance abuse for years and it’s what ultimately led to Ariana Grande breaking up with him. He was arrested for DUI and hit-and-run back in May after wrecking his G-Wagon on a utility pole. He fled the scene but cops said he later confessed when they tracked him down at his home. He blew 2 times the legal limit.”
Miller’s debut studio album, “Blue Slide Park,” released in 2011 on the indie label Rostrum Records, debuted at No. 1 in the U.S. on the Billboard 200 chart, reportedly making it the first independently distributed debut album to top the chart since Tha Dogg Pound’s “Dogg Food” in 1995.