Encouraged by the decision by the White House Correspondents’ Association to scrap the tradition of having a comedian host the annual Correspondents’ Dinner next year, Donald Trump hinted that he may attend the event. Trump skipped the first two of the annual gatherings held during his presidency.
Trump sent out a tweet saying: “So-called comedian Michelle Wolf bombed so badly last year. This year, for the first time in decades, they will have an author instead of a comedian.”
He added: “Good first step in comeback of a dying evening and tradition! Maybe I will go?”
But the AP reports that Trump “may not be thrilled with the replacement.” As we reported Monday, the replacement for the usual comedian will be featured speaker Ron Chernow, a Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer and historian who has written books about George Washington, Alexander Hamilton and other political figures.
“Chernow, like many of his fellow historians, strongly opposed Trump’s candidacy in 2016 and labeled him a ‘demagogue,'” the AP report notes.
The report quotes a video statement by Chernow from 2016 in which he says: “Like many other historians, I have been deeply disturbed by the Trump campaign — more deeply disturbed than by any other presidential campaign in our history.” He goes on to warn that Americans might “forget who we are as a people and succumb to historical amnesia.”
After being asked to speak at the 2019 dinner, Chernow said he had been asked “to make the case for the First Amendment” and was “happy to oblige.”