A no-bail arrest warrant was issued for R&B singer R. Kelly, who has been charged with 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse, the Chicago Sun-Times reports. The charges involve four victims, at least three of whom are minors, the paper reports.
A judge in Cook County approved the warrant Friday morning, the paper reports.
“The alleged crimes span from 1998 to 2010, records show. The minors were between 13 and 16, prosecutors allege,” the Sun-Times reports. “Kelly’s attorney, Steven Greenberg, said early Friday afternoon that he had not been notified that his client had been charged. Greenberg has said in the past that his client denies any wrongdoing.”
The report adds: “Michael Avenatti, a well known attorney who said he recently provided a videotape of R. Kelly having sex with a 14-year-old girl to the Cook County state’s attorney’s office, applauded prosecutors for filing charges. It is unclear if the charges are related to the videotape the attorney provided.”
Avenatti is quoted saying in a tweet: “The day of reckoning has arrived” for R. Kelly.
The report notes that the new charges against Kelly come less than two months after Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx went public with a plea for Kelly’s accusers to come forward.
“Foxx said she was ‘sickened’ by the accounts described in the ‘Surviving R. Kelly’ Lifetime television series. The Sun-Times reported that at least two women came forward after Foxx made her plea,” the paper notes.