An Oscar-nominated film director who has been in a coma since suffering a stroke will be taken off life support today. As we reported last week, John Singleton, who received two Oscar nominations in 1992 for “Boyz n the Hood,” has been in a coma in a Los Angeles hospital.
The New York Post’s Page Six quotes a spokesperson for the 51-year-old director and producer saying: “It is with heavy hearts we announce that our beloved son, father and friend, John Daniel Singleton will be taken off of life support today. This was an agonizing decision, one that our family made, over a number of days, with the careful counsel of John’s doctors.”
In recent years Singleton has been focusing on television, including executive producing the FX series “Snowfall.”
The Post reports that Singleton struggled with hypertension issues, and notes that the rep said his family wants to encourage anyone with symptoms to visit Heart.org.
“His rep’s statement gave some insight into the director’s private life, sharing that Singleton loved to kayak every morning at Marina Del Rey, adding, ‘John is a loving and supporting father, son, brother, and friend who believed in higher education, black culture, old school music and the power of film,'” The Post reports, adding: “On April 20, the filmmaker’s family confirmed to Page Six that Singleton checked himself into a hospital after experiencing weakness in his leg after a flight home from Costa Rica.”
Singleton’s family reportedly said that he suffered a stroke on April 17 while at the hospital.
Here’s a short interview with Singleton posted in 2017 …