Logo

THR, TVWeek, Instagram

Canceled Series Officially Dead After Revival Effort Fails

May 31, 2019  •  Post A Comment

Efforts to revive a canceled broadcast drama series have come up short, with the show’s co-creator and executive producer taking to social media to declare the revival effort dead.

Lee Daniels broke the news about the former Fox drama “Star” on his Instagram account. You can see his post below and click here to watch the video on Instagram.

“It ain’t happening,” Daniels says in the video. “I tried my best, guys. … Just know that just like with ‘Precious’ or ‘Empire,’ that first season, ‘The Butler,’ ‘Monster’s Ball,’ the next thing I do is going to be ‘Star.’ … It will exist in all my work.”

In a written message accompanying his Instagram video, Daniels said: “Thank you guys for loving Star! I’m at a loss for words to describe my sadness. So I’m gunna just say THANKS ….to my incredible cast and crew and FANS!!!! And a shout out to #foxtv for letting us into your homes every Wednesday.”

The “Empire” spinoff was canceled by Fox earlier this month after three seasons.

“The show, starring Queen Latifah, dropped 11 percent among the all-important adults 18-49 demo (compared to ‘Empire’s’ 21 percent drop),” The Hollywood Reporter’s Live Feed reports. “The series was produced by Disney-owned 20th Century Fox Television, and the newly independent Fox broadcast network had little room on its schedule and instead opted to pick up a new slate of scripted series — nearly all of which it co-owns. Instead, the Charlie Collier-run broadcaster will focus on the expanded 20-episode final season of ‘Empire’ and a roster of new dramas that include ‘Prodigal Son’ and ‘Not Just Me.'”

One Comment

  1. We will see more of this as the networks want to own their own content for their own streaming services or to lease to other ones.

Your Comment

Email (will not be published)