Logo

AP, TVWeek

CBS Defends Drama Series’ Renewal Amid Uproar

May 15, 2019  •  Post A Comment

One series renewal by CBS has raised more than a few eyebrows, and CBS has been defending the move.

The AP reports that CBS Entertainment President Kelly Kahl addressed criticism of the renewal of “Bull” during a news conference today unveiling the network’s 2019-2020 schedule, which includes “Bull.”

The renewal came despite blowback over the network’s settling of a sexual harassment claim against “Bull” star Michael Weatherly by actress Eliza Dushku.

“Dushku said she was written off the show after complaining that Weatherly remarked on her appearance and made jokes involving sex and rape in front of cast and crew in early 2017,” the AP reports. “Last year, the allegation and a $9.5 million confidential settlement reached with Dushku were made public in a report by The New York Times.”

Said Kahl: “First and foremost, what we found was Michael made a mistake in his comments. He owned that mistake. He was apologetic at the time.”

Adds the AP: “In renewing Weatherly’s series, CBS considered the actor’s long tenure at the network, including more than a decade on ‘NCIS,’ Kahl said. There were no complaints about Weatherly before or after Dushku’s, he said.”

Kahl is also quoted saying: “So, when we look at the totality of the situation, we felt comfortable bringing ‘Bull’ back on the air.”

Asked to comment on the decision by Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment to pull out of the show, as we reported last week, Kahl reportedly said he couldn’t answer for them.

3 Comments

  1. CBS considered his long tenure (of making money) for the company and not the right to have a workplace free of sexism. Weatherly was apologetic (after publicity). So was Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose, Kevin Spacey, Les Moonves, and every other privileged, rich man who believes that his money and power will always allow him to act any way he wants.

    • Sorry buddy, not jumping on that bandwagon. Me Too crazies and liberal media have mostly fabricated these stories. It’s convenient to blame the rich. They built this country and they are the ones who make it great (at least the conservative ones).

      At least you listed all Democrats in your example. It shows me that if some of these claims are in fact true, this is really more of a liberal Hollywood issue than a national one.

      • After working many years for CBC this has not a dang thing Me Too Crazies or liberals. Look up Elissa Dorfsman’s lawsuit against CBS in the mid 1980’s In addition CBS has been literally rampant with sexual harassment of women for the last 50 years.

        One news director told an applicant that he does his interviews in his bedroom.

        Another news director used to take his assistant in his office and talk dirty to her behind closed doors.

        Another news director used to follow female employees in to the women’s restroom to sniff around after they did their thing. He was subsequently fired.

        And there were two exciting times for male employees at CBS owned and operated TV stations…September and January.

        Why?

        Because that’s when the interns from the local colleges started their internships and it was a contest to see which ones were interested in seeing their careers take off.

        BTW Elissa Dorfsman got about $700,000 from her lawsuit against CBS. And that was in 1985. Look it up.

        The next time you post about “Me Too crazies and liberal media have mostly fabricated these stories,” maybe you should back it up with facts. FACTS!!!

        Not partisan gobble-de-gook, psychobablle and out and out bullcrap. Facts.

        Oh and these incidents did not take place in Hollywood but on the East coast.

Your Comment

Email (will not be published)