Donald Trump on Monday called for a boycott of AT&T as he unleashed a new volley in his war of words with AT&T subsidiary CNN.
Trump posted a message on his Twitter account saying: “I believe that if people stoped using or subscribing to @ATT, they would be forced to make big changes at @CNN, which is dying in the ratings anyway. It is so unfair with such bad, Fake News!”
Sending out his tweet from the U.K. during his state visit, he added: ”Why wouldn’t they act. When the World watches @CNN, it gets a false picture of USA. Sad!”
CNBC notes that reps for AT&T did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The report adds: “CNN has previously pushed back on Trump’s criticism. In a November 2017 tweet to the president, the network said: ‘It’s not CNN’s job to represent the U.S to the world. That’s yours.’”
CNBC also reports: “Trump has frequently attacked CNN’s coverage of him, dating to his time as a presidential candidate. On the campaign trail in 2016, he vowed to block AT&T’s acquisition of Time Warner, which included CNN among its most prominent assets.
“Indeed, the Trump Justice Department did challenge the blockbuster $85.4 billion deal. A federal judge had ruled last June that the merger was legal, but the DOJ appealed the next month, after the deal officially closed. Then, in February, a federal judge again ruled in AT&T’s favor and the Justice Department let the matter go.”
The report notes that House Democrats are “looking into whether Trump told his one-time top economic advisor Gary Cohn to use the Justice Department to block the AT&T-Time Warner deal. The White House in April denied lawmakers’ request for documents that might show whether Trump sought to intervene in the acquisition.”