The Donald Trump presidential campaign, which is steering clear of tonight’s GOP debate as the candidate feuds with host Fox News Channel — especially debate moderator Megyn Kelly — unveiled plans to create conterprogramming, B&C reports. The campaign confirmed it will hold an alternative event it describes as a “rally in honor of our veterans.”
“That event, labeled ‘Donald J. Trump Special Event for Veterans,’ will begin at 7 p.m. … at 2507 Carpenter Ave in Des Moines, which is on the campus of Drake University, which is hosting the GOP debate,” B&C reports.
The move didn’t sit well with Sen. John McCain, a decorated Vietnam veteran and former prisoner of war who has been a target of Trump’s attacks during the campaign. The report says McCain “criticized Trump’s use of a veterans event for ‘political purposes,’ and told CNN he thought Kelly was an ‘outstanding journalist.'”
CNN notes that Bill O’Reilly cautioned Trump, who appeared Wednesday night on O’Reilly’s Fox News program, that he’s making a “big mistake” by skipping the debate.
Trump’s boycott of tonight’s debate came after a seemingly snarky statement was released by Fox News, as we reported previously. Trump confirmed in a Tweet Wednesday night that he was offended by the statement, writing: “It was the childishly written & taunting PR statement by Fox that made me not do the debate, more so than lightweight reporter, @megynkelly.”