Megyn Kelly and NBC appear poised to part ways as reports of the demise of her morning show continue to crystallize in the wake of her “blackface” controversy.
CNN reports that Kelly and executives at the news division are negotiating the terms of her exit. Meanwhile, she has been removed from the morning lineup and “Megyn Kelly Today” has been canceled. CNN cites sources confirming that Kelly will not be returning to the morning lineup.
“There had been speculation that she would remain with the network in a lesser role — but the sources said that’s not happening,” CNN reports. “Earlier on Thursday, when multiple news outlets reported that Kelly is leaving NBC altogether, Kelly’s spokesman Davidson Goldin responded by saying that NBC has not been in touch with Kelly or her representatives.
“Later in the day, though, an NBC official got in touch with Kelly’s camp. This is a signal that negotiations are under way.”
The report notes that Kelly’s NBC contract is said to be worth $23 million a year for three years.
Talks at NBC about dumping Kelly’s 9 a.m. show were reportedly under way before her latest controversy. “But the controversy sealed her fate, according to two people familiar with the matter,” CNN reports.