A red carpet event that had been scheduled for Tuesday night for the new Liam Neeson movie was canceled amid growing backlash against the actor over what’s being described in the media as his “racist rape revenge fantasy.”
As we reported earlier today, Neeson has been trying to do damage control and attempted to clarify his comments during an appearance on “Good Morning America.” You can see a video of the interview by clicking here.
“Liam Neeson’s own words — about looking for a ‘black bastard’ to kill 40 years ago — are derailing the NYC rollout of his new movie,” TMZ reports. “‘Cold Pursuit’ is premiering Tuesday night in NYC, but the studio’s decided to cancel the red carpet event — meaning Neeson won’t have to face the media. That change was announced just hours before the premiere — and a few hours after Neeson tried to soften the blow of his bombshell revelation.”
The incident at the center of the controversy took place when Neeson was in his 20s and learned that a friend of his had been raped. Neeson said he responded by going out looking for “random black men” to assault, TMZ reports.
“Neeson didn’t know the attacker’s identity but only knew he was black,” TMZ reports. “Neeson first told the puzzling story to The Independent on Monday, and the backlash has been building ever since.”