Discovery Channel announced that Shark Week 2014 has earned the highest ratings in the programming event’s 27-year history in a number of key demos.
The event set new high-water marks in persons 25-54, women 25-54 and women 18-49 from Aug. 10-16, the network announced. In women 18-49 it was the channel’s highest-rated week ever, topping a record that had stood since 2000.
The turnout for Shark Week made Discovery Channel the No. 1 network in all of television in prime time among men 18-34 and 18-49 for the week — ahead of all broadcast and cable competition.
“Shark Week 2014 garnered the network’s highest-rated Sunday-Thursday (1.64 P25-54) and Sunday-Saturday Prime (1.42 P25-54),” Discovery announced.
“The return of Shark Week’s late-night talk show, ‘Shark After Dark,’ beat popular talk shows in most key demos Sunday, August 10, through Thursday, August 14, and was up 3% from last year. ‘Shark After Dark’ out-delivered every late-night cable talk show competitor including Comedy Central’s ‘The Daily Show with Jon Stewart’ and ‘The Colbert Report,’ TBS’s ‘Conan,’ E!’s ‘Chelsea Lately’ and ‘The Soup,’ HBO’s ‘Last Week Tonight,’” the announcement adds.
The release notes that a number of programs aired as part of Shark Week came in at No. 1 for the night among all cable programs or all TV programs:
– Sunday’s “Shark of Darkness: Wrath of Submarine” is the #1 cable telecast of 3Q14 among Men 18-49 and 25-54 delivery (excluding sports) and was also the #1 telecast in ALL OF TELEVISION on Sunday evening among Persons 18-34 (no exclusions).
– On Monday, “Jaws Strikes Back” was the #1 non-sports telecast in ALL OF TELEVISION on Monday evening among Men 18-49 delivery.
– “Alien Sharks: Return to the Abyss” was Tuesday’s #1 program in all of TV among M18-49 and M18-34 (no exclusions).
– “Sharkageddon” ranked as the #1 cable telecast on Thursday evening among M18-49 delivery and P18-49 (excluding sports).
– “Megalodon: New Evidence” ranked as the #1 cable telecast on Friday evening among P25-54 and P18-49 delivery (no exclusions); it was also #1 in cable among M25-54 and M18-49 delivery (excluding sports).