Logo

TVBizWire

TVBIZWIRE
May 24, 2018
2:41 pm
Comment

CBS Pulls Plug on Drama Series (TVWeek, Twitter, Variety)

CBS won’t be bringing back one of its prime-time dramas, with the news coming by way of a tweet from the show’s creator and showrunner. Michael Seitzman broke the news Wednesday night that “Code Black” won’t be returning for a fourth season.

“Dear #CodeBlack fans, the sad news came today that we were cancelled,” Seitzman tweeted. “It’s been a true joy to make this show and watch your response every week. Thank you for all of your passion. Truly, our best episodes have yet to air. We hope you’ll watch and enjoy them. We made them for you.”

Seitzman followed up with another tweet Wednesday night in which he wrote: “We always suspected this would be the last season. We wrote it to end that way.”

Variety notes: “The series was never a ratings breakout on CBS, with the first season averaging a solid 1.3 rating in adults 18-49 and 7.1 million viewers and Season 2 dropping to a 1.0 and 6 million in Live+Same Day. Season 3 was averaging a 0.7 and 5.4 million viewers going into this week’s episode on Wednesday night.”

TVBIZWIRE
May 24, 2018
1:59 pm
Comment

Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals How Her Ex-Boyfriend Brad Pitt Responded to Alleged Misconduct by Weinstein (AP)

Gwyneth Paltrow revealed that after an alleged incident of sexual misconduct by Harvey Weinstein, Brad Pitt, who was her boyfriend at the time, threatened the former movie mogul.

“The 45-year-old actress told ‘The Howard Stern Show’ on Wednesday she was ‘blindsided,'” the AP reports. “Paltrow claimed she was 22 when Weinstein placed his hands on her at a hotel and suggested they go to a bedroom for massages.

“Paltrow said she told Pitt what happened and the actor confronted Weinstein at a Broadway opening.”

Paltrow is quoted in the report saying: “It was like the equivalent of throwing him against the wall.”

The actress said Pitt leveraged his fame and power to protect her at a time when she didn’t have fame or power, the AP reports. Paltrow and Pitt were briefly engaged, but broke up in 1997.

TVBIZWIRE
May 24, 2018
1:27 pm
Comment

Daily Beast Editor-in-Chief Quits to Go to Cable News Network (The Hill)

The editor-in-chief of Daily Beast is bolting from the website to take a job in cable news. The Hill reports that John Avlon will join CNN in a full-time position as a senior political analyst.

Avlon will also have a daily role on the CNN morning show “New Day.” He will begin his new duties June 25.

“Avlon, who succeeded Daily Beast founder Tina Brown in 2013 at the helm of the online publication, has been a CNN analyst since 2010 and has seen his on-air role grow in recent years,” The Hill notes.

In a statement announcing the move, CNN said: “Avlon brings extensive digital experience to the network, and will work closely with CNN’s digital teams on original reporting and commentary. He will also lend his talents in an advisory role to the digital leadership team.”

Daily Beast executive editor Noah Shachtman was named as Avlon’s replacement for editor-in-chief.

TVBIZWIRE
May 24, 2018
1:19 pm
Comment

Two High-Profile Broadcast Shows Fall to Record Low Season Finale Numbers (Variety)

Wednesday was a bad night for season finales of two shows that have traditionally been strong performers for their networks. Variety reports that both CBS’s “Survivor” and Fox’s “Empire” fell to their lowest-rated season finales ever.

“The two-hour ‘Survivor’ finale drew a 1.5 [in adults 18-49] and 7.4 million viewers on CBS,” Variety reports. “That is even with last week’s episode and down from the 1.9 and 8.5 million viewers drawn by last season’s finale. That is approximately a 21% drop in the demo and a 13% drop in total viewers. The reunion show that followed drew a 1.1 and 5.6 million viewers, compared to a 1.3 and 5.8 million last season.”

Fox’s “Empire,” which aired at 8 p.m., settled for a 1.6 average rating in 18-49 and 5.2 million viewers, Variety notes.

“That is even in the demo and up a scant few percentage points from the 5.1 million viewers it drew last week,” the publication reports. “In addition, it was down approximately 36% in the demo and 25% in total viewers compared to the Season 3 finale last May. Nevertheless, ‘Empire’ narrowly remained the top-rated show of Wednesday night.”

TVBIZWIRE
May 24, 2018
1:11 pm
Comment

Sylvester Stallone Succeeds in Getting Trump to Issue Pardon (THR)

Following a hgh-profile campaign in which actor Sylvester Stallone played a key role, Donald Trump has agreed to grant a posthumous pardon to Jack Johnson, boxing’s first black heavyweight champion, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Trump and Stallone were joined at a ceremony in the Oval Office by boxer Lennox Lewis.

“Johnson was convicted in 1913 by an all-white jury for violating the Mann Act, which made it illegal to transport women across state lines for ‘immoral’ purposes,” THR reports. “He was traveling with his white girlfriend.”

The pardon clears Johnson’s name after he served 10 months in prison for what many people see as a racially motivated conviction.

Said Trump: “It’s my honor to do it. It’s about time.”

Stallone had reportedly brought Johnson’s story to Trump’s attention during a phone call a while back.

TVBIZWIRE
May 24, 2018
11:51 am
Comment

Cable Comedy Series Renewed (TVWeek, FX)

A quirky comedy series running on cable just picked up a renewal that ensures the show will be back for a fourth season. FX announced the pickup today for season four of the Zach Galifianakis series “Baskets.”

The show, which also stars Louie Anderson, will return to FX in 2019.

Eric Schrier and Nick Grad, presidents of original programming for FX Networks and FX Productions, made the announcement.

Said Schrier: “‘Baskets’ continues to deliver thanks to the dream creative team led by Jonathan Krisel and Zach Galifianakis, and we couldn’t be happier to order a fourth season to air next year. Each season brings us closer to the Baskets family and their pursuit of life, love and clowning glory. Our thanks to the producers and the cast for making ‘Baskets’ such a joy to watch.”

Please click here for more details, including quotes from some of the show’s reviews, in today’s announcement.

TVBIZWIRE
May 24, 2018
11:29 am
Comment

CMT Rolls Out Summer Programming Slate — Including Final Episodes of Drama Series (TVWeek, CMT)

CMT just took the wraps off a lineup of summer programming featuring the new series “Bachelorette Weekend” and “Party Down South” along with a new season of “Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team.”

Also on tap are the “2018 CMT Music Awards,” “CMT Crossroads,” “CMT Hot 20 Countdown” and the final eight episodes of the music drama series “Nashville,” with Hayden Panettiere.

Below are some of the key dates. Please click here to see the full announcement.

June

“2018 CMT Music Awards” Live from Nashville – premieres Wednesday, June 6 at 8pm ET/PT

“Nashville” Final Episodes – premieres Thursday, June 7 at 9pm ET/PT

“CMT Crossroads: Leon Bridges and Luke Combs” premieres Thursday, June 28 at 10pm ET/PT

“CMT Hot 20 Countdown” premieres Saturdays at 9am ET/PT

July

“CMT Hot 20 Countdown” premieres Saturdays at 9am ET/PT

August

“Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making The Team” – premieres Thursday, August 2 at 10pm ET/PT

“Bachelorette Weekend”- premieres Thursday, August 2 at 11pm ET/PT

“CMT Hot 20 Countdown” – premieres Saturdays at 9am ET/PT

TVBIZWIRE
May 24, 2018
10:43 am
Comment

Late-Night Show to Broadcast From London (TVWeek)

One of the broadcast late-night programs is taking its show on the road with a block of shows set to air from London. CBS announced details today about “The Late Late Show with James Corden’s” planned shows from the historic Central Hall Westminster, set for June 18-21.

Corden will bring aboard a star-studded guest lineup for his return to his native country, including Cher, Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom, Niall Horan and Foo Fighters. Additional guests will be announced closer to air.

“During these London-based episodes, Corden will share highlights of his homeland with American viewers, and ‘The Late Late Show’s’ signature musical and comedy segments, such as ‘Crosswalk: The Musical’ and ‘Take a Break,’ will get a British makeover,” CBS said.

This marks the show’s second U.K. trip, following a block of shows last year.

TVBIZWIRE
May 24, 2018
9:57 am
Comment

Cult Series Gets Marathon Treatment
(TVWeek, Showtime)

A cult series will be televised uninterrupted in a special marathon that will run almost 18 hours. Showtime announced plans to air its entire 18-part “Twin Peaks” revival on Saturday, June 2, on Showtime 2.

The programming block is an Emmy For Your Consideration marathon. The special telecast begins Saturday, June 2, at 4:35 a.m. ET/PT and ends at 10 p.m. PT/ET.

“Directed entirely by David Lynch, who helmed more hours of television on a single series than any other director in the 2017-18 television season, the Showtime 18-part limited event series picked up 25 years after the inhabitants of a quaint northwestern town were stunned when their homecoming queen Laura Palmer was shockingly murdered,” Showtime notes in an announcement released today. “Golden Globe-winning and Emmy Award-nominated Kyle MacLachlan returned as FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper, Cooper Double and Dougie Jones.”

The series is written and executive produced by series creators David Lynch and Mark Frost, and is executive produced by Sabrina S. Sutherland.

Along with the linear broadcast on Showtime 2, all parts of the series are available to subscribers on multiple television and streaming providers’ devices, websites and applications and their free On Demand channels.

Showtime is currently available to subscribers via cable, DBS and telco providers, and as a stand-alone streaming service through Apple, Roku, Amazon, Google, Xbox One, Samsung and LG Smart TVs. Consumers can also subscribe to Showtime via Hulu, YouTube TV, Sling TV, DirecTV Now, Sony PlayStation Vue, Amazon Channels and FuboTV.

TVBIZWIRE
May 24, 2018
9:13 am
Comment

Morgan Freeman Hit With Sexual Misconduct Allegations From Multiple Accusers (CNN)

Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman is the focus of allegations of sexual misconduct and harassment revealed in an investigative piece published by CNN. Eight women interviewed for the piece say they were victims of the actor’s inappropriate behavior.

In all, 16 people interviewed by CNN discussed Freeman’s alleged misbehavior, describing a pattern of alleged incidents spanning much of his career.

“A young production assistant thought she had landed the job of her dreams when, in the summer of 2015, she started work on ‘Going In Style,’ a bank heist comedy starring Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine and Alan Arkin,” CNN reports. “But the job quickly devolved into several months of harassment, she told CNN. She alleges that Freeman subjected her to unwanted touching and comments about her figure and clothing on a near-daily basis. Freeman would rest his hand on her lower back or rub her lower back, she said.

“In one incident, she said, Freeman ‘kept trying to lift up my skirt and asking if I was wearing underwear.’ He never successfully lifted her skirt, she said — he would touch it and try to lift it, she would move away, and then he’d try again. Eventually, she said, ‘Alan [Arkin] made a comment telling him to stop. Morgan got freaked out and didn’t know what to say.'”

The report details a number of similar alleged incidents involving Freeman, who will turn 81 on June 1. Click on the link above to CNN to read the full report.

CNN adds that it “reached out to Freeman’s spokesperson for comment and then, at his request, emailed him a detailed list of the accusations against Freeman. The spokesperson did not respond to multiple follow-ups by email seeking comment on the accusations.”

Older Articles